If I recall, that anti-Nixon ’68 poster with the pregnant lady originally showed a black woman wearing a scorned look on her face, courtesy of some Democratic party hack’s plan to harness the noblest instincts of white southern voters.
But you know…things in politics have gotten so much less civil because of the Tea Party. Rachel Maddow told me that.
In case that poster doesn’t make it clear, Fremont was a crazy motherfucker. He was right about pretty much everything, but, okay, imagine Dennis Kucinich running for President on the Green Party ticket. Now imagine that he’s campaigning by
1. touring the country in a plaid flannel shirt and Levis,
2. at the wheel of a jeep flying an American flag and a “WE ARE THE 99%” banner,
3. with his bikini-clad wife in the passenger seat firing an AK-47 into the air,
4. leading a motorcade of Toyota pickup trucks of assorted models, colors, and customization,
5. many of which have been hastily fitted with weapons.
That’s approximately Fremont. How he lost is anyone’s guess.