The media is again drumming up hysteria about energy drinks, this time after a 14-year-old girl with a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse died after consuming two 24-ounce Monster drinks in 24 hours. Take it away Today show . . .
. . . To put it another way: By drinking just two large energy drinks, Anais drank as much caffeine as you’d find in about 14 cans of Coke.
Hey, let’s put it in yet another way: By drinking just two large energy drinks, Anais drank as much caffeine as you’d find in 41 chocolate bars.
Or, if you weren’t trying to scare the hell out of people, you could put it this way: Two 24-ounce energy drinks may seem like a lot, but other patients with mitral valve prolapse should take note that Anais would have ingested more caffeine if she’d had just one-and-half medium-sized Starbucks coffees. Over 24 hours.
Today could have used Anais’s sad story as an opportunity to engage in some public service journalism about a potentially fatal condition that affects 5 percent of the population. The primary message here might have been that people with mitral valve prolapse should really try to avoid ingesting caffeine at all. That would have helped get more attention for mitral valve prolapse.
Instead, they made it about energy drinks. Which really only helps get more attention for the Today show.
One other point on this story: I really wish marijuana legalization groups would drop the “instead of banning pot, why don’t we ban this terrible thing” line of argument. Or if they insist on using that line of argument, they should at least stop pretending that their cause is motivated by freedom and individual liberty.