Wednesday, December 28th, 2011
- My Huffington Post colleague Ryan Grim on how Ron Paul has been one of few politicians to talk about the racist origins of the drug war.
- Popehat is asking you to vote for the “Censorious Asshat of the Year.” So many nominees, so devoted to their cause.
- Sen. Chuck Schumer assails new caffeine product before it comes to market.
- L.A. County Sheriff’s Department has jailed hundreds of innocent people due to misidentification.
- “When Obama was sworn into office in 2009, the nation’s clandestine drone war was confined to a single country, Pakistan, where 44 strikes over five years had left about 400 people dead . . . The number of strikes has since soared to nearly 240, and the number of those killed, according to conservative estimates, has more than quadrupled.” These are estimates, because the government won’t say how many innocent people its drones have killed.
- Federal worker pay saw lowest increase in 10 years last year, but even with the Obama “freeze,” it was still more than the increase in the private sector. According to USA Today, one in five federal employees now makes over $100,000 per year. The recession isn’t exactly crippling members of Congress, either.
- Comedienne-turned-conservative-activist Victoria Jackson serves up a hot plate of crazyburgers.
- Headline of the day.
- New York Times attempts to paint conceal carry permit owners as crazy gun nuts with an itchy trigger finger, accidentally publishes data suggesting they’re far less likely to commit crimes than the general population, but runs with the narrative anyway.