I’m back in the U.S., now, and should be back home in Nashville this evening. Many, many thanks to my guest-bloggers, who did a fantastic job. They may (or may not) be putting up sign-off posts throughout the day.
By the way, if you plan to fly internationally anytime soon, you might avoid coming back through Atlanta. You’ll actually have to go through the full TSA theater after you’ve de-planed and gone through customs. That’s right. Nudie scanners, take off the shoes, pat-down, the whole routine, even though you aren’t boarding another plane.
Here are some morning links for you:
- Mother Jones criticizes Ron Paul for wanting to end the federal war on drugs, and for not voting to require ISPs to monitor users’ Internet activity.
- Another odious IP bill moving through the Senate.
- “Sister Wives vs. Police Women of Broward County“
- The company formerly known as Blackwater is building an army for the United Arab Emirates government.
- Cliche tourist photos.
- Jon Stewart at his best, slamming Fox News over the dumb Common controversy.
- Some public sector lifeguards in California are pulling in $200,000 per year.
- Honolulu city council also now considering a law that would make it illegal to use a cell phone while walking.
- The sacrifices a good socialist makes for a life in public service: A half-million dollar (tax free) salary, an open-ended expense account, first class travel, and, at least until this week, a “get out of jail free” card for rape. There’s been justifiable condemnation of Strauss-Kahn’s behavior toward women, but I doubt we’ll see the sort of outrage over his lavish, taxpayer-funded lifestyle that we saw over, say, Jack Welch’s lavish but privately-funded lifestyle, despite the fact that Welch actually created jobs and wealth, while Strauss-Kahn only redistributes money, and usually in ways that have made developing countries poorer. The reason is all about intentions. Jack Welch is a greedy capitalist. Dominique Strauss-Kahn has been staying in $3,000/night hotel suites, flying first class, and sexually assaulting women in service of the world’s poor. So hey, cut the guy some slack.