Sunday, February 13th, 2011
- Funny clip, but the guy missed a golden opportunity to hit Steve Harvey with a “yo’ momma” joke.
- The Bill O’Reilly “Can’t Explain That” meme.
- So in addition to its sex offender registry, the state of Iowa also has a child abuse registry. And, surprise!, it’s fraught with problems. Key line: “It takes no conviction in court to end up on the registry – only a finding by Iowa Department of Human Services staff that it was ‘more likely than not’ that the person neglected a child or, in a much smaller number of cases, abused a child.”
- A slideshow of newborn zoo animals.
- Most bizarre argument against allowing Walmart in an urban area I’ve seen to date: “Addressing a small, anti-Wal-Mart rally at City Hall on Monday, Speaks said young people would get criminal records when they couldn’t resist the temptation to steal.”
- Ron Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll. Gary Johnson comes in third. Unfortunately, the results likely aren’t reflective of where the GOP is headed, given that the scary gays and Muslims kept all the social cons at home this year. Still, it’s good to see a growing libertarian influence on the right.
- Speaking of which, the conservative activist group Young Americans for Freedom has given Ron Paul the boot for his anti-war positions. “It’s a sad day in American history when a one-time conservative/libertarian stalwart has fallen more out of touch with America’s needs for national security then our current socialist presidential regime.” I’d submit that it’s a sad day for the conservative movement when support for endless, futile nation-building in two decade-old wars is a prerequisite for membership.